Follow the expert advice on How to Prepare for IIT JEE in Class 11 without Coaching.
It’s no secret that IIT-JEE is considered one of the toughest Entrance Examinations in India.
We can get an idea about its difficulty level by because the qualification rate of IIT-JEE exams is between 1% – 2% (Source: Wikipedia).
We don’t mean to scare or demotivate you by sharing these harsh facts.
Instead, we just intend to convey the importance of these examinations as they are the gateway to India’s topmost engineering and technology institutes like IITs, NITs, IISERs, and more.
Now, we all are aware of the fact that there are numerous coaching institutes all over the country, who guide and coach aspirants appearing for IIT-JEE examinations.
It’s also true that many aspirants manage to crack IIT-JEE examinations with the help of these coaching institutes.
But, is coaching the only way to crack IIT-JEE IN 2023?
Or let’s put it this way, is it possible to crack IIT-JEE examinations without coaching?
Well, we will answer these questions in this article and we will also share with you the only preparation tips that you must follow to crack IIT-JEE without any coaching.
So, first things first!
Is it Possible?
Yes! definitely, and to back our words check out this analysis done by IIT itself.
Did you know, according to an analysis done by IIT-Guwahati, 52% of students who cleared the IIT-JEE examinations relied on self-study? (source- Times of India)
Yes, more than half the students that cleared the examinations didn’t take any coaching!
But wait, does that mean coaching is useless?
Well, coaching has its fair share of advantages and disadvantages of course.
The advantage of coaching students is that they have a bit of clarity about the exam, their performance, and they get proper assistance at every point of their preparation journey.
But as far as disadvantages are concerned, coaching students have big-time trouble managing their time.
They are always on the run, from school/college to home, home to coaching, then back to home, most of the precious time is wasted on commuting.
Also, there are fix timings to these coaching institutes, and you have to manage your schedule according to their time.
Apart from this, not everyone manages to afford to coach, maybe it the fees or any other personal limitations.
But let’s not get into these things and discuss what’s really important!
How to Prepare for IIT JEE in class 11 without Coaching / any physical coaching and purely on self-study?
To answer this question, we will discuss the Top Preparation Tips which if followed smartly & effectively, will definitely help you crack the IIT JEE exam without any physical coaching.
So, let’s begin!
Start Preparing Early
“The trouble is; you think you have time” – Buddha
This quote clearly tells us the value of time, which is a very crucial thing in a student’s life.
When you decide you want to crack the IIT-JEE exam, you should begin with your preparation journey.
The ideal time you should start your preparation is when you are pursuing your 11th.
11th and 12th standards are considered as the base for almost all Entrance Examinations, you must clear your basics and make them strong while you pursue your 10+2 as this will benefit you hugely in your IIT-JEE preparations.
How can you do that?
- Try not to miss any class in your entire 11th & 112th session.
- Always focus on what the teacher is trying to explain.
- Clear your confusion right away.
- Be up to date with your homework & assignments.
- Keep a balance between your school & IIT-JEE preparations.
Do not get disheartened if you are starting after you have completed your Intermediate Studies.
It’s never too late to start any journey as long as you have that fire inside you.
Understand The Syllabus
How will you find the treasure if you don’t have a map?
The syllabus is the map to your quest, and it will help you find the treasure,
Which is to crack the IIT-JEE exam.
So this is how you should go about it,
- Go through the exam syllabus thoroughly.
- Know about Important Chapters, Topics, Course Objectives, Marking Scheme & more.
- Analyze each subject and match it with your own school/college syllabus.
- Find out the similarities & dissimilarities in both the syllabus.
- Check what you are already studying & what else you need to study.
- Keep the syllabus readily available for quick reference.
- Always keep an eye on the syllabus to check if you are on the right track.
It’s very important to know the Exam Syllabus before you even start with your preparation.
Hence, Understand the syllabus first & foremost.
Lay a Study Plan
After you’ve gone through the syllabus, it’s time to lay a study plan for the preparation.
Remember, if you are in school; then you must keep a balance between your school studies & your IIT-JEE preparations as your Board Exams are equally important.
Hence, you must lay a study plan that complements both your School & IIT-JEE exam preparation.
How can you achieve that?
- Divide the syllabus subject-wise & draw up a schedule for each subject.
- Now, these subjects are basically Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics according to which you’ll divide the chapters.
- Make a weekly based schedule or timetable according to which you’ll study each subject & its respective chapters.
- Analyze how many hours are available to you every day, after you are done with your school commitments.
- Distribute the available hours to each subject & their chapters and study accordingly to complete the syllabus.
Now, there are no hard & fast rules that you need to give a specific number of hours or choose a particular time of the day to study.
You must analyze what suits you the best and stick to that schedule, which is very crucial.
This is one of the best things about self-study.
Doubt is Debt
One of the most important things to always keep in mind is that you must always clear your doubts and queries as soon as you have them.
You cannot take further steps or progress in your preparation if you have a bag full of doubts and queries.
You can take the help of your teachers, mentors, seniors, or even your friends if you are struggling with a concept or chapter.
Today, there are plenty of study materials in the form of videos, books, e-books, lectures, and more that are easily available both online & offline that you can use to clear your doubts and queries.
There are even full fledge courses available online specifically for IIT-JEE Preparation.
But you must be cautious while consuming these resources and only select those that adds value to your preparation.
“Time management is life management” – Robin Sharma
It doesn’t matter how intense you are preparing or how many hours you are devoting to study for your preparation, if you are not managing your time properly you are not going to see the results coming in your favor.
What do we mean?
Well, don’t rush on everything at the same time, keep things simple but steady.
Everybody has 24 hours in a day, not more not less and if you can manage your time properly, you will always have time for study, preparation & other important commitments.
So, how can you manage your time? Here’s how,
- Respect your study plan and stick to your daily schedule.
- Don’t make frequent changes to your schedule unless it’s extremely necessary.
- Set a time limit for each of your daily routines and don’t spend extra time on any of them.
- Track your daily syllabus coverage and make improvements if you are running behind.
- Make use of Reminders and feed your daily tasks for better time management.
- Get organized and most importantly, don’t procrastinate.
Nobody but you, know best about yourself.
Hence, manage your time in a way that benefits every aspect of your life.
Since you will rely purely on self-study, you must have an honest opinion about your progress at every stage.
Just like we said before, “nobody but you; know best about yourself”
You will have to assess yourself based on your Strength & Weakness.
Knowing your strength & weakness is one of the best things you can have in your entire preparation journey.
It will help you understand the extent of your capabilities and show you the areas where you lack.
You will have the clarity to take the necessary steps to eliminate those weaknesses, which will eventually help you in your preparation journey. So,
- Ask yourself questions that you won’t normally ask.
- Evaluate your Preparation Progress & find out where you lack.
- Take the help of a mentor if possible that can guide you in certain aspects.
- Don’t shy away from accepting your weakness, wear it like a badge.
- Take an optimistic approach towards your weakness & work hard to eliminate them.
- Don’t be over-confident of your strengths and capabilities.
It takes persistent effort to turn your weakness into your strength. Be Persistent!
NCERT is the Best
Many students jump directly on reference books rather than considering NCERT books for preparation.
This is not a bad strategy, but it’s not a good one either.
NCERT books are the base for IIT-JEE Examinations and almost all the entrance examinations held in India.
Reference books certainly give you a wide variety of preparation material, but when it comes to covering the core basics of the subjects, NCERT books are considered as the best.
Almost 60 – 70% of the IIT-JEE examinations are based on NCERT books.
NCERT books help you build a firm ground on concepts and subject basics.
But again, being the best doesn’t mean it’s all you need.
You must consider reference books as well, to explore more practical exercises and take your preparation journey to the next level.
Increase Speed & Accuracy
Like any other examination, IIT-JEE is also time-bound and you get a limited period of time to finish the paper.
The one who attempts the maximum number of questions and gives their correct answers gets through the examination.
But here’s the catch!
It’s not that simple to attempt all the questions within the given time period, as the level of the questions is not basic at all.
The questions that come in the IIT-JEE examination, test your analytical ability to the max, and solving them fast with accuracy is the only way to attempt the maximum number of questions.
You must work on your speed & accuracy to improve them to attempt maximum questions and answer them correctly.
Here are some useful tips,
- Focus on increasing your accuracy first.
- Try solving as many questions as you can with maximum accuracy.
- Don’t worry about speed unless you can achieve accuracy.
- Once you can solve each and every question with 100% accuracy, start focusing on your speed.
- Time yourself while attempting every question and analyze it later.
- Try multiple methods to solve a question & use the one which gives max speed with complete accuracy.
Don’t try to increase your speed and accuracy simultaneously, it is not only a waste of time but you’ll also compromise your performance.
Practice! Practice! And Practice!
“practice makes a man perfect” – Anonymous
It’s the most important attribute if you want to crack the IIT-JEE examination with flying colors.
You will not magically be able to understand every concept, solve every question and increase your speed & accuracy.
It is the habit of ‘Practice’ that will help you achieve everything.
You need to practice daily and effectively to get the desired result.
Here are some things you must do,
- Analyze previous year’s question papers & practice important concepts.
- Try solving previous year’s question papers with the required speed and accuracy.
- There are numerous practice papers, sample papers available both online & offline.
- Once you have a decent head start with your preparation, solve a practice or sample paper daily.
- Take mock tests regularly to track your progress and analyze your weak areas.
- Make revision notes, summary for quick revision.
- Take online quizzes and tests, it will keep your journey exciting.
There are numerous other things you can implement in your preparation journey.
But most importantly, you need to Practice Daily!
Working towards your goals is not easy.
No matter how hard you try, you may find yourself struggling in some areas which will impact your morale.
But that’s completely normal, nobody’s perfect!
The only thing you must keep in mind is that these things are temporary, they will vanish as you move forward in your journey.
Again, not magically but with practice, patience and perseverance.
Here’s how you can remain self-motivated,
- Know your positive state and understand the emotions that trigger it.
- Use these emotions whenever you feel low or demotivated.
- Read empowering content and success stories, see how people succeeded despite all the hardships.
- Try not to let external factors affect your preparation journey.
- Get outside and spend time in nature, it helps boost energy and fuel self-motivation.
You can accomplish any goal you set your mind to – as long as you are self-motivated.
Have Multiple Goals
Having a single goal that is to crack the IIT-JEE exam, is not at all a good strategy.
People with a single goal tends to feel miserable when they struggle to achieve their goal.
Yes, you should have a prime goal and put most of your focus on the same, but you should not have only one goal.
You must understand that there are bigger opportunities in life and these competitive exams are just some of the many ways to achieve them.
Look around and you’ll see a wide variety of directions that you can follow in life.
With that being said,
- Have multiple goals.
- Make one of them your Prime Goal.
- Work hard to achieve them.
- And keep updating your goals from time to time.
Success in the IIT-JEE exam requires a smart and effective preparation strategy which we’ve tried to explain in this article.
Implementation of these tips of How to Prepare for IIT JEE in class 11 without Coaching, will help you tremendously in your preparation journey.
Nevertheless, it’s equally important to seek help and guidance from your teachers and mentors to get desirable results.
Hope this article has helped you believe that it’s possible to crack such examinations without physically going to a coaching institute.
For more informative content like this, do check out our other Articles.
How to Prepare for IIT JEE FAQ’s
As early as possible! But it is recommended to start preparing for IIT JEE form 11th Class onwards.
No, it’s not. If you start preparing on time, if you are able to clear your doubts through self-study, understand the concept properly via reference books and free online study material, then you do not have to rely on coaching.