The notice for IIT JAM 2020 has been released. The application process will commence from 5th September 2019. You can also check the details on the official website jam.iitkgp.ac.in.
IIT JAM an exam for admission into various courses like M.Sc., M.Sc.-Ph.D, and other post-bachelor degree programs in various IITs and IISc, will be conducted on 9th February 2020 (tentative date).
The application form will be released on 5th September 2019. The registration process, the release of admit card, the entrance exam, declaration of result everything will be done online.
IIT JAM 2020 important dates (TENTATIVE)
- The online application will release on 5th September 2019
- The last date to apply is on 8th October 2019
- The admit card will release on 2nd week of January 2020
- The exam is on 9th February 2020
- The result will be announced on 20th March 2020
- The submission of application form for admission will be April 2020, 1st to 3rdweek
- The last date for receipt of the request for change of category or rectification of defective documents is 1st week of May 2020
- The first admission list will release on 3rd week of May 2020
- The second admission list will release on 2nd week of June 2020
- The final and third admission list will release on last week of June 2020
- The admissions will close on 1st week of July 2020
Eligibility Criteria for IIT JAM 2020
The aspiring candidates for IIT JAM 2020 make sure that the listed below points should be fulfilled
- The candidates should have completed their under graduation degree with a minimum of 55% marks 5.5 CGPA in case of general category and 50% or 5.0 CGPA for SC/ST/ PWD or OBC-NCL candidates.
- The applicants who are in there final year of under graduation can also apply.
- The concerned authority will decide the equivalent percentage of marks for the candidates who have letter grades/CGPA (as a substitute for the percentage of marks)
- The applicants will have to submit a proof for getting the qualifying degree before the deadline prescribed by the authorities
- During the time of admission, the applicants are required to submit their physical fitness certificate in an approved format from a registered medical practitioner. The candidates might have to undergo through a physical fitness test by a medical board which is formulated by the admitting institute. If the candidate is not found fit physically, then his/her admission can get canceled.
IIT JAM 2020 Application form details
The application form for IIT JAM 2020 will be submitted through JOAPS (JAM Online Application Processing System). The applicant has to fill their details, like name, fathers name, DOB, etc., their eligibility degree details, JAM paper/s choice, preferred exam cities, details of the valid identity document.
Scanned copies of candidates’ photograph, signature, PWD certificate (if applicable) and category certificate (if applicable) will also be uploaded in the form
Once the required details are uploaded in the application, the form should be submitted along with the application fees. The fees can be paid through net banking/ credit card/ debit card.
- Fees for Female (All Categories)/ SC/ ST/ PwD candidates for one test paper is Rs. 750/- and For Two Test Papers is 1050/-
- Fees for all other candidates is Rs. 1500/- for one test paper and Rs. 2100/- for two test papers.
IIT JAM 2020 Exam Pattern
- There are 7 test papers (Biotechnology (BT), Chemistry (CY), Geology (GG), Mathematical Statistics (MS), Biological Sciences (BL), Mathematics (MA) and Physics (PH))
- The exam will be conducted CBT mode
- The duration of the exam is 3 hours
- The medium for the exam is English
- There will be 60 questions
- Total marks will be 100
- There will negative marking
- For Section A: One-third marks will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- For Section B: No negative and no partial marking
- For Section C: No negative marking
- In section, there will be 30 questions in the form of Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), and the weight will be 10×1+20×2=50
- In section B there will be ten questions in the form of multiple select questions, and the marks distribution will be 10×2=20
- In section C there will be 20 questions in the form of Numerical Answer Type (NAT) the marks distribution will be 10×1+10×2=30
IIT JAM 2020 Syllabus
- Biological Sciences: General Biology, Basics of Biochemistry, Biophysics, Microbiology, Cell Biology, and Immunology, etc.
- Biotechnology: Biology (10+2+3 level), Chemistry (10+2+3 level), Mathematics (10+2 level) and Physics (10+2 level)
- Chemistry: Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Inorganic Chemistry
- Geology: The Planet Earth, Geomorphology, Structural Geology, Paleontology, Mineralogy, Petrology, etc
- Mathematics: Sequence and Series of Real Numbers, Functions of One, Two and Three Real Variable, Integral Calculus, Differential Equations, etc
- Mathematical Statistics: Sequence and Series, Calculus, Matrices, Probability, Random Variables, Standard Distributions, etc
- Physics: Mathematical Methods, Kinetic theory, Thermodynamics, Oscillations, Waves and Optics, Electricity and Magnetism, Devices and Electronics, etc