Groundbreaking Hollywood filmmaker Christopher Nolan is all set to bring forth another masterpiece titled Oppenheimer on the big screens soon after delivering magnum opuses like Interstellar, Inception, Momento, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Dunkirk, and Tenet.
This time the unorthodox director is delving into a biographical film based on the life of theoretical physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer. The latter was involved in the Manhattan Project which was for the purpose of developing initial nuclear weapons. He is among those who are considered the father of the atomic bomb.
Nolan after his 2020 critical and commercial success Tenet is now gearing up for the period biographical film Oppenheimer that will be set in the backdrop of World War 2 (1939-45).
Talking about production, Oppenheimer is currently in the post-production phase. It commenced filming on 25 Feb 2022 in Los Angles, United States.
Filming was concluded in May 2022. A combination of IMAX 65mm and 65 mm large format film was used in the film.
Release Date & Star Cast of Oppenheimer
The film was shot in IMAX Camera and 65mm films. Oppenheimer is slated to hit the theatres on 21 July 2023.
- The film has an ensemble star cast with Peaky Blinders fame Cillian Murphy essaying the titular character Robert Oppenheimer,
- Edge of Tomorrow, A Quiet Place film series fame Emily Blunt as Oppenheimer’s wife Katherine aka Kitty,
- Bond film No Time To Die fame Rami Malek is reportedly playing one of the scientists involved in the Manhattan Project.
- MCU franchise Iron Man fame Robert Downey Jr. and Good Will Hunting fame Matt Demon are respectively playing Lewis Strauss the chairman of the United States Atomic Energy Commission and the director of the Manhattan Project.
- Other stars Florence Pugh (Jean Tatlock), Josh Hartnett, Dane DeHaan, Jac Quaid,
- Psychological thriller You fame Dylan Arnold (Frank Oppenheimer)the younger brother of the main lead,
- Benny Safdie (Edward Teller), Matthew Modine and Olli Haaskivi.
The trailer of the movie was released on Dec 19 by Universal Pictures. The trailer has black and white visuals with horrific stills of explosion and surreal shots of the sun with insurmountable energy. Cillian Murphy’s soul-stirring monologue is receiving praise, watch the trailer below:
Murphy and Nolan’s Collab
This film will mark the sixth collab between the actor Cillian Murphy and the director Nolan, but it also marks the sole project where Cillian is playing the lead role in Nolan’s project. The Duo’s earlier projects together are Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Inception, The Dar Knight Rises, and Dunkirk.
Oppenheimer is a big-ticket film, as per reports the film is made on a budget of around 100 million dollars in INR 826 crores, approx. The film is produced by Nolan, Charles Roven, and Emma Thomas under the banner Universal Pictures in association with Atlas Entertainment and Syncopy.