A few months back, The Income Tax Department of India issued a circular to link their PAN and Aadhar cards. Only those who fall under the exempt category don’t need to link their Aadhar and PAN cards.
Today is the last date to link PAN Cards to Aadhaar Cards. If one fails to link both the cards then their PAN Card will become inactive. Earlier the last date fixed by the government to link PAN and Aadhaar was March 31, 2023, but later it was extended to June 30.
How to link PAN and Aadhaar cards?
The PAN Card holders can follow the below-mentioned steps to link their PAN Card to their Aadhaar Card.
- Visit the Income Tax e-filing portal at eportal.incometax.gov.in
2. Register on the website (if not already done).
3. Your PAN (Permanent Account Number) will be used as your user id.
4. Log in by submitting User ID, password and date of birth.
5. A window will appear on screen prompting you to link your PAN with Aadhaar.
6. If the pop up window dosen’t appear on screen, Visit ‘Profile Settings’ on Menu bar and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’.
7. Details such as your name, date of birth and gender will already be mentioned as per your PAN Card.
8. Verify the PAN Card details on screen with the ones mentioned on your Aadhaar Card.
9. Now, enter your Aadhaar number and click on the “link now” option.
10. A message will appear on the screen, that your Aadhaar has been successfully linked to your PAN
How to check PAN-Aadhaar linking status online
The PAN Card holders can follow the below-mentioned steps to check PAN-Aadhaar linking status online.
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the Income Tax e-filing portal at eportal.incometax.gov.in (Direct Link)
- Step 2: Click on Aadhaar Status, Enter PAN and Aadhaar numbers.
- Step 3: Following the process, the server will check the status.
- Step 4: If your PAN Card is linked to your Aadhar Card a message will appear that, “Your PAN is already linked to given Aadhaar.
One can also check the PAN-Aadhaar linking status through SMS. The income tax department of India has also given the option to check the PAN-Aadhaar linking status through SMS. For this, the user has to send an SMS to 567678 or 56161. The message will read, “Aadhaar is already associated with PAN in ITD Database,” if both cards are linked.
If both the cards were not linked then the message will read, “Your Aadhaar is not associated with PAN in ITD Database. Thank you for using our services.”
What if your PAN Card is not linked to your Aadhar
The users who will not link their PAN and Aadhar will face problems while availing of several benefits, such as:
- Filing an Income Tax Return (ITR) will become challenging.
- ITR will be rejected by the Income Tax Department.
- Obtaining subsidies, applying for a passport, and opening a bank account will become difficult.
- Applying for a new PAN might also become difficult if it is not linked to Aadhaar.
- As provided in the Income Tax Act 1961, TDS and TCS shall be deducted/collected at a higher rate.