Congress leaders and other officials’ protest against ED as it continues grilling Rahul Gandhi in Herald money laundering case. A video of a senior party leader, Renuka Chowdhury is going viral on the internet where she is seen holding the collar of a policeman during the party protest in Hyderabad on Thursday.
Mild tension prevailed near Telangana’s Raj Bhavan as police foiled protesters’ attempts to lay siege to the building as part of the Congress’ Telangana unit’s “Chalo Raj Bhavan” call.
#WATCH | Telangana: Congress leader Renuka Chowdhury holds a Policeman by his collar while being taken away by other Police personnel during the party's protest in Hyderabad over ED summons to Rahul Gandhi. pic.twitter.com/PBqU7769LE
— ANI (@ANI) June 16, 2022
The demonstration produced a traffic congestion on Khairtabad Circle and other streets.
A two-wheeler was set on fire, and some demonstrators were spotted jumping onto a state-run municipal bus as its window panes were purportedly shattered by an agitator.
Protesters shouted anti-Prime Minister Narendra Modi and anti-police slogans. Renuka Chowdhury says that officials are unsuccessful in maintaining law and order.
In conversation with the media, Renuka says that Congress leaders are troubled while peacefully opposing, yet nothing is done to punish the wrongdoers who sit in the legislature here and in New Delhi. She further asked Home Minister Amit Shah to break the silence.
What’s happening? Protest’s current updates
- DK Shivakumar and Siddaramaiah, Congress leaders, were stopped and taken in custody on their way to Raj Bhavan: Karnataka
- Over 300 protestors, including former Chief Minister Narayanasami, have been arrested in Puducherry.
- Water cannons used by Kerala police to disperse demonstrators.
- Police held MPs without a warrant and refused them meals and drinks: Chidambaram
- Congress General Secretaries, AICC incharges, Members of Parliament, and other top leaders convene at Congress Headquarters.