Applicants interested in cracking the UPSC CDS 2023 Exam must hold the overall information of the selection process. The UPSC CDS 2023 Selection Process is divided into three stages.
Stage I – Written test
Stage II- SSB Interview
Stage III- Medical Examination
Candidates who want to join IMA, INA, IAFA, and OTA will have clear each phase of the UPSC CDS 2023 Selection Process. Both two phases carry an equal amount of weightage and as per the UPSC CDS 2023 Exam Pattern, the written test consists of various objective-type questions from various sections.
CDS 2023 Selection Process Highlights
To get an overview of the selection process candidates can check the important key points of the UPSC CDS 2023 Selection process mentioned in the table below.
|Conducting Body||Union Public Service Commission|
|Mode of Exam||Offline|
|Selection Process||Written Test|
Stage I – Written Test
The first and foremost phase of the UPSC CDS 2023 selection process is a Written test. This test will be conducted offline and the candidates will have to visit their respective exam centres. This exam will carry objective-type questions from various sections.
- Candidates who want to join IMA, INA, and IAFA will have to clear a written test consisting of three papers: English, General Knowledge, and Elementary Mathematics.
- Candidates who wish to be a part of OTA (Officers Training Academy) will have to clear a written test comprising two papers: English and General Knowledge.
- The exam will consist of objective-type questions.
- The exam duration for each paper will be of 2 Hours.
- Candidates are required to score minimum qualifying marks for clearing this phase.
- The candidates after clearing this phase will get shortlisted for SSB Interviews.
Stage II – SSB Interview Schedule
This is the most crucial stage of the selection process. This is a 5-day process in which the recruiters assess the candidate’s overall personality and psychology. To clear this stage candidates are advised to be mentally and physically fit and must upscale their verbal and non-verbal abilities.
We have included all the details of the SSB Interview Schedule in the table below.
|Day 1||Picture Perception and Description Test |
Candidates are required to observe a hazy picture for 30 seconds and will have to write a story in 3 minutes by focusing on 7 basic Parameters: Age, Sex, Mood, Character, Past, Present, and Future.
|Day 2||Psychological Test|
The recruiters will assess the candidate’s psychology through TAT (Thematic Appreciation Test), WAT (Word Association Test), SRT (Situation Reaction Test), and SD (Self-Description Test).
|Day 3||On day 3 candidates will have to participate in various tasks such as Group Discussion, Military Planning, Group Tasks, Obstacle Tasks, and Half Group Tasks.|
|Day 4||On this day candidates will appear for the personal interview round.|
|Day 5||Document Verifications|
Stage III – Medical Examination
This is the last stage of the UPSC CDS 2023 Selection Process where the candidates will undergo a medical examination conducted by the Special Medical Board. The process will be conducted for 4-6 days and the candidates will have to present valid documents as given in the list below.
- Identity Proof (Aadhar Card, Pan Card, and Voter ID)
- Passport Size Photographs
- Birth Certificate
- Medically Fit Certificate
- Residential Proof
- Educational Qualification
- Candidates from the reserve categories will have to show their category certificates.
CDS 2023 Selection Process FAQs
No, SSB is a 5-day process. The recruiters will analyze the candidate’s overall personality during this process.
In the Picture Perception and Description Test, candidates will have to observe an image and will have to write a story in certain parameters.
Yes, in the last stage of the selection process, recruiters will conduct a medical examination test.
Yes, the candidates will have to submit valid documents.
Generally, the selection process is divided into 3 stages, Written Test, SSB, and Medical Examination.