The most important aspect of the UPSC NDA 2023 exam, which every candidate must go through is the Eligibility criteria structured by the Union Public Service Commission for both male and female candidates. The UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) significantly changed the Age limit parameters for the NDA 2023 exam. The candidates who are not born later than 01/July/2007 or earlier than 02/July/2004 are eligible to appear for this exam.
- In 2021, after Kush Kalra filed a petition, the Supreme Court allowed female candidates to appear for the UPSC NDA Exam.
- As per the UPSC guidelines, the eligibility criteria for female candidates are the same as those for male candidates.
- Various standards such as Visual, Physical, and Height required to appear for the UPSC NDA 2023 exam are the same for both male and female candidates.
- Candidates applying for the Indian Air Force and Indian Navy will have different eligibility criteria than that of the Indian Army.
NDA 2023 Age Limit & Marital Status
As per the UPSC NDA 2023 official notification, the age limit and marital parameters for both male and female candidates are the same. Candidates applying for this exam can check the Age Limit and Marital Status required to meet the NDA 2023 eligibility criteria.
- The age limit needed to apply for the UPSC NDA 2023 exam is 16.5 – 19.5 years.
- Candidates applying for this exam must have been not born later than 01/July/2007 or earlier than 02/July/2004.
- Both male and female candidates must be unmarried.
- During the training period, candidates are not allowed to marry until they complete their training period successfully.
- Candidates who will marry before or during the training period will be disqualified.
NDA 2023 Education Qualification
The educational qualification required to appear for the UPSC NDA 2023 Exam is different for different army wings. As per the UPSC NDA 2023 Exam Pattern, candidates need to have a basic educational background to ace the exam. Candidates can check the NDA qualification for the Army, Navy, and Air Force in the table below.
|Indian Army||Candidates should have passed the 12th class examination or must be appearing for the same from a recognized board.|
|Air Force||Candidates should have passed the 12th class examination with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as core subjects or must be appearing for the same from a recognized board.|
|Indian Navy||Candidates should have passed the 12th class examination with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as core subjects or must be appearing for the same from a recognized board.|
|INA (10+2) Cadet Entry Scheme||Candidates should have passed the 12th class examination with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as core subjects or must be appearing for the same from a recognized board.|
NDA 2023 Nationality
Candidates who are not Indian citizens, but still wish to apply for the UPSC NDA 2023 exam must belong to any one nationality as discussed in the table below.
|The candidate should be a citizen of India|
|The candidate should be a subject of Nepal or Bhutan.|
|Candidates who came from Tibet to India before 01/January/1962 for permanent settlement are eligible to appear for this exam.|
|Candidates who migrated to India from various countries such as Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Ethiopia, Malawi, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, and Zaire are eligible to appear for this exam.|
|Candidates must possess certificates of their respective nationalities.|
|Candidates who belong to the Gorkha community and are A subject of Nepal will not have to show the eligibility certificate.|
NDA 2023 Physical Standards
Physical fitness is the most important aspect of the NDA training period. Every candidate who wishes to become a defence officer will go through a medical examination where the candidates will have to meet various physical standards, in order to join the National Defence Academy.
- Good physical and mental health with no disabilities.
- Permanent Body Tattoos on any part of the body are not allowed.
- Candidates who have body marks/tattoos because of the customs and traditions will be accepted on a special case basis.
- Bones and Joints of the body must not be impaired.
- Candidates should not hold any history of mental illness or mental fits.
- Diseases such as Hernia must be operated on 1 year before the medical examination. Any unoperated disease will lead to disqualification.
- The Liver and Spleen size should be normal.
- Candidates should not have any hearing problems from a distance of 610 cm.
- Blood Pressure should be normal.
- Candidates must not have any internal organ disease related to the Heart, Lungs, or Kidneys.
- Candidates suffering from Hydrocele, Varicocele, Piles, and Skin Diseases will be disqualified.
- Candidates will also go through a urine test and any abnormality will lead to disqualification.
- Candidates must not be overweight or underweight.
- Candidates should have a minimum of 14 dental points and must have natural and sound teeth.
Physical Standards For Pilot
The physical standards established for Pilots are different than that of other posts. Candidates who wish to become pilots can check the details related to the physical standards in the table below.
|Legs||Minimum Length: 99 cms|
Maximum Length: 120 cms
|Thighs||Length: 64 cms|
|Height while Sitting||Minimum Length: 81.50 cms|
Maximum Length: 96 cms
NDA 2023 Height & Weight Standards
Height and Weight are the important parameters that every candidate must meet before applying for this exam. The height and weight standards are established differently for the Army, Air Force, and Navy as discussed in the table below
Indian Army and Air Force Physical Standards
|Height (cms)||Weight in Kgs|
|Weight in Kgs|
|Weight in Kgs|
Indian Navy Physical Standards
|Height (cms)||Weight (Kgs)|
NDA 2023 Visual Standards
There are certain vision standards that every candidate must meet to perform duties on the field which are discussed below.
- Candidates must have a distance vision of 6/6 in the better eye and 6/9 in the worst eye.
- The range of Myopia should not exceed more than 2.5 D and for hypermetropia, the range should not exceed more than 3.5 D.
- Candidates applying for the Air Force must not wear spectacles.
- Candidates must not suffer from Astigmatism.
- Candidates should not suffer from Colour Blindness. The colour vision standard for the Indian Army is (CP-III).
- Candidates who have gone through Laser Surgery for improving their Visual Abilities will be rejected permanently.
Navy & Air Force Visual Standards
|Details||Indian Naval Wing||Indian Air Force Wing|
|Uncorrected (without glass)||6/6||6/6, 6/9|
|Corrected (with glass)||6/6||6/6 for Hypermetropia|
|Limits of Myopia||-0.75||NIL|
|Limits of Hypermetropia||1.5||+2.00 D Sph|
|Limits of Colour Perception||I||NIL|
|Manifest Myopia||N.A||NIL RE|
|Colour Vision||N.A||CP-I (MLT)|
|Astigmatism||N.A||+0.75 Cyl (within + 2.0 D.Max)|
NDA 2023 Eligibility Criteria FAQs
Candidates must be a 12th pass to apply for the UPSC NDA 2023 exam.
Yes, the candidates appearing for their 12th board examinations can apply for this exam.
Candidates must fall between the age of 16-19 years.
Yes, both male and female candidates can apply for this exam.
The NDA 2023 eligibility criteria for male and female candidates are the same. Candidates can check the eligibility criteria in the article above.