SSC CHSL 2023: The SSC CHSL is an annual competitive exam held to recruit candidates who have completed their higher secondary schools in various ministries and departments of the Indian government. The Staff Selection Commission conducts the Combined Higher Secondary Examination for the positions of data entry operator (DEO), lower division clerk (LCD), junior secretariat assistant (JSA), court clerk, and posting assistant/sorting assistant (PA/SA). More than 10 to 13 lakh candidates appear in the examination every year.
SSC CHSL 2023 Notification
The SSC will release the SSC CHSL 2023-24 recruitment notification on their official website at ssc.nic.in. As per the SSC Exam calendar 2023-24 the notification will be released on 9 May 2023. The notification includes all the essential details related to the vacancy, such as exam dates, the selection process, eligibility, salary, etc.
Those preparing for the SSC CHSL should read the following article to get the most up-to-date information on recruitment here.
SSC CHSL 2023 Highlights
|SSC CHSL 2023||Highlights|
|Organization||Staff Selection Commission|
|SSC CHSL 2023 Notification||May 9, 2023(Tentative)|
|Mode of Exam||Online via CBT|
|Selection Process||Tier I|
About SSC CHSL Exam
The Staff Selection Commission administers the Combined Higher Secondary Examination for the recruitment of candidates in various ministries and departments of GoI in LDC, PA/SA, DEO etc posts. More than lakhs of candidates who have completed their 10+2 appear in the examination every year.
The selection of candidates will be based on a two-tiered examination. The eligibility requirements, job security, work-life balance, and guaranteed professional advancement are the key drivers behind the high participation in the exam.
SSC CHSL 2023 Important Dates
Candidates who are appearing for the exam can bookmark this page to get the latest information on important dates related to the exam, including admit cards, results, and more. Applicants can review the important dates in the given table.
|Notification released||9 May 2023|
|Application Deadline||8 June 2023|
|Tier I admit Card||A week prior to the exam*|
|Tier I Exam||July/ August 2023|
|Tier I Result||TBA|
|Tier II Exam||TBA|
SSC CHSL 2023 Vacancy Details
The authorities have not mentioned the exact vacancy details related to the particular post, the vacancies will be released along with the notification. For the year 2022-23, a total of 4500 vacancies are released for the following post. The vacant positions will be filled in Government of India Ministries, Departments, Offices, and Constitutional, Statutory, and Tribunal Bodies.
- Lower Division Clerk (LCD)/Junior Secretariat Assistant (JSA)
- Posting Assistant/Sorting Assistant (PA/SA)
- Data Entry Operator (DEO)
SSC CHSL 2023 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates are recommended to review the SSC CHSL 2023 Eligibility requirements provided by the SSC. Those who meet the requirements for the post, such as nationality, age limit, age relaxation, and educational requirements, are eligible for the post. Documents proving eligibility must be produced at the time of document verification.
- An Indian citizen or subject of Nepal and Bhutan.
- Tibetan refugees who had made a permanent home in India before January 1, 1962
- POI migrated from Pakistan, Burma (Myanmar), Sri Lanka, Vietnam, and East Africa, including the United Republic of Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, Malawi, Zambia, Zaire, and Ethiopia.
- The minimum age to apply for any post under SSC CHSL is 18 years while the maximum age is 27 years.
- Age relaxation will be provided to reserved categories as per the rules of the government.
|OBC and military personnel||3 years|
|PH + Gen||10 years|
|PH + OBC||13 years|
|PH + SC/ST||15 years|
|Employees of the Central Government who have served for at least three years in a regular and continuous manner||8 years|
|Divorced or widowed women who are judicially separated from their husbands||8 years|
|Divorced or widowed women who are judicially separated from their husbands(SC/ST)||13 years|
- Candidates must have completed their intermediate from a recognized university.
- Those who want to apply for the position of data entry operator must have completed their 12th grade in science and have mathematics as a main subject.
SSC CHSL 2023 Application Fee
- The candidates have to pay Rs.100/- for the application form.
- There is no fee for female, SC, ST, ESM and Physically Handicapped candidates.
SSC CHSL 2023 Application Process
Candidates must adhere to the instructions for the step-by-step online application process mentioned below in order to apply for the various positions:
- Visit the SSC’s official website at ssc.nic.in.
- On the homepage, click on the “Apply” tab, and then click on “SSC CHSL.”
- A new page will appear on your screen, fill in your personal details, such as your Aadhaar number, father’s name, email ID, and phone number.
- You will receive a provisional registration number and password in your phone number and email ID.
- Upload the photo (20 kb to 50 kb) and signature (10 kb to 20 kb) in the required format.
- Fill in the application form and enter any three exam centre preferences.
- Pay the application charges(if required) and submit your application.
- For reference, take a printout of your application.
SSC CHSL 2023 Selection Process
The SSC CSHL 2023 Selection Process comprises a two-tiered examination. Previously, the SSC held a three-tier exam to select candidates. Tier I exams are qualifying in nature. Tier 2 is made up of two sections, each of which is further subdivided into modules. Both exams will be conducted online.
|SSC CHSL Exam||Exam Type||Exam Mode|
|Tier I||Objective type with Multiple choice questions||Online via CBT|
|Tier II||Multiple Choice Plus Test of Skills & Typing|
Tier II will consist of three sections, each with two modules.
|Online via CBT|
SSC CHSL 2023 Exam Pattern
The SSC has revised the SSC CHSL 2023 Exam pattern. Check the updated exam pattern for Tier I and Tier II in the given tables.
Tier I Exam Pattern
Tier I will be an objective-type exam consisting of 200 marks. The exam will be conducted online via CBT. Overall, there will be 100 questions that are divided into 4 sections. There will be a negative marking of 0.50 marks for each incorrect answer and 2 marks for every correct answer.
|Subject||Total Questions||Total Marks||Duration|
|Total||100||200||Composite time |
of 60 minutes
Tier II Exam Pattern
Qualified candidates from the Tier I exam will appear for the Tier II examination. The Tier II exam consists of two sections, which will be conducted on the same day. These sections will be further divided into sub-sections and modules.
|Session I||Section- 1 Module I||Mathematical Abilities||30||90|
|Module II||Reasoning and general intelligence||30||90||1 hour|
|English language and comprehension||40||90|
|Module II||General Awareness||20||90||1 hour|
|Section 3||Computer Knowledge Module||15||45||15 minutes|
Typing and skill test
Part A: Skill test for DEO
|Part B: Typing Test for LDC/JSA||–||–||10 Minutes|
SSC CHSL 2023 Syllabus
Candidates who are preparing for the exam must check the SSC CHSL 2023 syllabus, as the Staff Selection Commission has revised the exam syllabus. The updated syllabus for both Tier I and Tier II is provided below.
- General Intelligence: Semantic analogy, symbolic operations, alphanumeric series, ranking, direction, alphabet test, puzzle, blood relations, syllogisms, input-output, coding-decoding, data sufficiency, coded inequalities, tabulations, figural pattern-folding and completion, figural analogy and space orientation.
- General awareness: history, geography, culture, economics, general policies, scientific research, awards and honours, books, and authors.
- Quantitative Aptitude: simplification, profit loss, work time, work distance, mixtures and allegations, simple and compound interest, percentage, mensuration ratio, proportions, number series, sequences and series, permutations and combinations, and probability.
- English Language: reading comprehension, para jumbles, cloze test, fill in the blanks, active-passive voice, paragraph completions, one-word substitutions.
- Mathematical Abilities: Number system, percentage, ratio and proportion, square root, average, simple and compound interest, mixture and alligations, time and distance, time and work, profit-loss, discount, basic algebra, the graph of linear equations, geometry, menstruation, trigonometry, bar-graph, histogram, pie chart, simple probabilities.
- Computer knowledge: organisation of computers, IPU, memory, backup devices, operating systems, MS Office, the internet, email, network devices and protocols, and security threats.
- Skill Test DEO: The data entry speed of candidates should be 8,000 key depression per hour in the English language.
- Typing Test: Each candidate will receive written material in English, including roughly 9000 key presses. Candidates have to complete the test within the duration of 15 minutes.
SSC CHSL 2023 Preparation Books
Choosing the right SSC CHSL 2023 preparation books will help candidates prepare and perform well in the exam. In addition to the study guides, candidates should review the exam questions from the previous year and regularly take practice exams to improve their skills. The table below includes some of the subject-specific preparation books.
|English||Objective General English||SP Bakshi|
|General Intelligence||Analytical Reasoning||M K Pandey|
|Quantative Aptitude||Quantitative Aptitude||RS Aggarwal|
|General knowledge||Lucent General Knowledge||Lucent|
SSC CHSL 2023 Admit Card
For all candidates whose application Status will be accepted, the SSC will release the Admit Card on their official website. Candidates who will appear can follow the given steps to download their admit card.
- Visit the official website of SSC at ssc.nic.in.
- On the homepage, click on the “Admit card” tab.
- On the admit card page, Click on the URL of your selected region.
- You will be redirected to the region’s official website.
- Enter your login details( registration number & password) and click on submit.
- The admit card will appear on your screen.
SSC CHSL 2023 Result and Cut-off
The cut-off mark for each tier will be released separately along with the results. Tier I is qualifying in nature. The cut-off will be released category-wise.
Candidates can check the result on their official website, ssc.nic.in, by using their roll number and password. Those who will clear both tiers of examinations will be called for document verification.
SSC CSHL 2023 FAQs
Ans- As per the SSC 2023-24 exam calendar, the notification will be released on 9 May 2023.
Ans- The Tier I exam will be conducted in the month of July/ August
Ans- The vacancies will be released along with the SSC CHSL 2023 recruitment notification.
Ans- The selection of candidates is based on the Tier I and Tier II exam which is followed by a document verification round.
Ans- Candidates must have passed their intermediate from a recognized board.
Ans- Yes the SSC CHSL exam is bilingual. Except for the English part, candidates may select either Hindi or English as their exam language.
Ans- Yes, there will be a negative marking of 0.50 marks for each incorrect answer.
Which positions are covered by the SSC CHSL exam?
Lower Division Clerk (LDC), Junior Secretariat Assistant (JSA), Postal Assistant (PA), Sorting Assistant (SA), and Data Entry Operator (DEO) vacancies are all filled through the SSC CHSL.
Do questions in the SSC CHSL exam repeat themselves?
In the SSC CHSL exam, some questions are usually repeated each year.
Does the SSC CHSL operate online?
The SSC CHSL Tier-I exam is conducted entirely online.
Can a graduate take the SSC CHSL 2023 Exam?
Yes, a graduate may take the SSC CHSL 2023 Exam. Candidates must have passed the intermediate or 12th Standard Exam from a recognised Board or University in order to take the SSC CHSL Exam.
Does the SSC CHSL exam have a negative marking policy?
In the SSC CHSL Tier-I test, there is a negative marking option. For each wrong response, 0.50 of the total points are deducted. However, the Tier-II exam does not include negative grading.