The festival of Bhai Dooj is celebrated two days after Deepawali. This time the festival of Bhai Dooj is on Wednesday, October 26, 2022. Bhai Dooj is also known as Bhaiya duj, Bhai Bij and Bhatri Dwitiya.
Bhai Dooj is celebrated every year on the second date of Kartik Shukla Paksha. On this day, sisters apply tilak on their brother’s foreheads wishing the brother a long life and prosperity by performing Vrat, Puja, and Katha, etc.
In return, brothers give gifts with a resolution to protect their sisters forever. It is believed that along with worshipping on the day of Bhai Dooj, you must also listen to and read Vrat Katha.
On this day the sisters wish their brother a long life. Bhai Dooj is a festival that expresses the sister’s deep love and affection for her brother.
Legend Behind Bhai Dooj (Bhai Dooj History)
According to the legend, there was a brother-sister relationship between Yama and Yamuna. Sister Yamuna invited her brother Yama to her house several times and requested him to have food, but for many years Yama did not go to Yamuna’s house.
But on the second day of Shukla Paksha of Kartik month, Yamraj came to meet his sister, Yamuna. Sister Yamuna was very pleased to see her brother Yama and was happy to welcome her brother a lot. She served him food gladly. Brother Yama was very pleased to see such a warm welcome from sister Yamuna and told the sister to ask for a boon.
Then sister Yamuna asked for a boon from her brother that like this time every year, on this date, the sisters who come home and apply tika on their brother’s foreheads and respect their brothers like Yamuna, they will never be afraid of Yama.
Hearing the boon of his sister, brother Yama said ‘Tathastu’ and made it worthwhile. Since then this tradition continues to date. Even today, sisters apply tika to their brothers on this day and give sweets, clothes, etc. At the same time, the brothers also express their love and affection by giving gifts to their sisters. Yama and Yamuna are especially worshiped on this day.
Bhai Dooj Pooja Vidhi
The method is similar to that of Rakhi on Bhai Dooj. Sisters wake up in the morning and wear new clothes after taking a bath. After this, they start preparing dishes for her brother.
While performing the ritual, sisters apply tilak on brother’s forehead and pray for their long, and healthy life. They then perform aarti after which the brother is made to eat paan.
Bhai Dooj Shubh Muhurata
The auspicious time for this year’s Bhai Dooj is 2:43 PM. The second date of Kartik Shukla Paksha will end on 27th, if you celebrate on 27, 1:18 PM to 3:30 PM is shubh muhurat.
Do’s and Don’ts
Following is a list of things that a sister should refrain from doing on Bhai Dooj:
- On Bhaidooj, you should never eat at home if possible. If this is not possible, it would be better to sit next to the cow and eat.
- The sister on Bhaidooj should not argue or quarrel with her brother in anger over any issue. The ill will of the mind can cause huge damage.
- The sister should not disrespect the gift she received from her brother at all. Nor should the brother comment on the food she has prepared.
- It is forbidden for a sister to eat and drink anything before tilak on Bhaidooj.
- The sister should not lie to her brother on this day. Doing so may cause misery to the brother.
- Do not wear black clothes today when applying tilak to your brother.
- If the brother’s zodiac sign is Taurus, then the sister should not wear green clothes on this day.
- For a Gemini brother, the akshat on the forehead should not be broken. The Sister should not wear blue clothes and tie yellow molly in her brother’s hand.
- If the brother’s zodiac sign is Cancer, then the sister should not wear green clothes on this day.
- If your brother is Leo, the sisters should not wear black clothes on this day while doing Tilak.
- If the brother’s zodiac sign is Virgo, then tilak from red vermilion and apply akshat on the forehead so that it does not break.
- If the zodiac sign of the brother is libra, the sisters should not wear green clothes.
- If Brother is Scorpio, sisters should not wear black clothes on that day.
- If the brother’s zodiac sign is Sagittarius, apply turmeric tilak to him, during which the sisters should not wear white clothes.
- If the zodiac sign of the brother is Capricorn, then tilak with sandalwood in red roli. The Sister should not wear golden clothes on this day. Happy Bhai Dooj.