A teacher 0r Guru, whether the academic or spiritual, plays an important role in guiding someone and shaping one’s life. He helps you find the roots of success and help you in every possible way and also teaches you about ethical as well as moral values.
So, to express your gratitude towards gurus as well as their teachings every year Guru Purnima is celebrated by Hindus, Buddhists and Jains of India, Nepal and Bhutan to give honour to their respective gurus.
Guru Purnima 2022 Date & Time
Guru Purnima is traditionally celebrated to honour your chosen spiritual teachers or gurus. As per Hindu calendar, it is observed on the full moon, which is also called as Purnima in the Hindu month of Ashadha (Jule-July).
On the other hand, as per the Gregorian calendar, it falls in the months of June and July every year. The festival was revived by the Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi to pay tribute to his spiritual guru, Shrimad Rajchandra. This year it will be celebrated on Wednesday, July 13, 2022 and the Purnima Tithi will start from 4 am on the same day.
Guru Purnima History
As we mentioned above, the festival is celebrated by Hindus, Buddhists and Jains, hence each one of them have different reasons to celebrate the Guru Purnima. Some popular legend are mentioned below:
As per Hindu texts, on the day of Guru Purnima, Lord Shiva became the first guru or Adi guru. It is also believed that on this day, Lord Shiva sat in front of Seven Sages called Saptarishis and became their Adi guru to teach them about the truth of life. Later, these Saptrishis spread the knowledge they gained from the lord, to the world.
As per another saying, it is believed that on this day, the great sage and the author of epic- Mahabharata, Maharishi Vedvyas was born. Not just that, he also completed writing the Brahma Sutra on the day of Guru Purnima only, that is why the festival is also called as Vyas Purnima.
As per Buddhist texts, after attaining enlightenment, Lord Buddha joined his five followers and taught them everything he learnt through being enlightened. It was a full-moon day of Ashadha month when Buddha gave the first sermon and shared his learning to his disciples who also became enlightened.
As per the Jain traditions, Lord Mahavir Swami, the 24th Tirthankara of Jains, took Indrabhuti Gautam (Gautam Swami) as his first disciple and became his guru on the day of Guru Purnima. This festival is celebrated as Treenok Guha Purnima among the Jains.
Guru Purnima 2022 Significance & Celebration
Guru Purnima is a beautiful festival which is wholly dedicated to gurus and to express thankfulness to them who lead us to enlightenment from the path of darkness.
“Guru” itself is made from two Sanskrit words “gu” means darkness or ignorance and “ru” means removal of darkness, thus Guru is someone who removes all the darkness from our life. In the early times, gurus were given higher places than god.
The festival has a lot of significance in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism. It teaches us to respect our gurus and to always be thankful to them no matter how big you become.
Even in the modern era, Guru Pooja is held by Hindus of India and Nepal, which is devoted to all gurus who enlightened their disciples. Whether Hindus, Buddhists or Jains, this festival is celebrated with great enthusiasm by the people of their religions and it spreads peace and coexistence in society.
Guru Purnima 2002 Status, Messages & Quotes
You can wish your family members and friends a very Happy Guru Purnima 2022 by sending these quotes to them on Whatsapp, Instagram and Facebook. Check out the Guru Purnima wishes below:
- A guru is someone who removes the darkness from your life and leads you the right path.
- The most important finding in my life is finding a guru like you. Happy Guru Purnima 2022
- A mother is the first teacher of her child, who taught him the difference between right and wrong.
- Parents are the best gurus in the word, who genuinely think as well as want good for you. Happy Guru Purnima 2022!
- The mistakes you have made in the past, are your best teachers.
- Besides my parents, you are the person who supported me in bad times and taught me the true meaning of life .Happy Guru Purnima!!
- Dear sir, thankyou for your support, guidance and for being my strength during hard times.
- Let’s take a moment and say thank you to all your academic and spiritual gurus who motivate you in your tough times and teach you to believe in yourself.
- If you have a guru in your life who keeps a check on you and guides you to take the right path, be thankful to him always.
- Guru is that ray of the Sun which always comes into your life as a ray of positivity, always respect them. Happy Guru Purnima 2022 to you and your family!!
- Happy Guru Purnima to you from us!!