A teacher or Guru, whether academic or spiritual, plays an important role in guiding someone and shaping one’s life. He helps you find the roots of success and help you in every possible way and also teaches you about ethical as well as moral values.
So, to express your gratitude towards gurus as well as their teachings every year Guru Purnima is celebrated by Hindus, Buddhists, and Jains of India, Nepal, and Bhutan to give honor to their respective gurus.
Guru Purnima 2023 Date & Time
Guru Purnima is traditionally celebrated to honor your chosen spiritual teachers or gurus. As per the Hindu calendar, it is observed on the full moon, which is also called Purnima in the Hindu month of Ashadha (Jule-July).
On the other hand, as per the Gregorian calendar, it falls in the months of June and July every year. The festival was revived by the Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi to pay tribute to his spiritual guru, Shrimad Rajchandra. This year it will be celebrated on Monday, July 03, 2023, and the Purnima Tithi starts at 7:26 PM on 2nd July.
Guru Purnima (Brahma Yog): 7:26 PM (2/Jul/2023)- 3:35 PM (3/Jul/2023)
Guru Purnima (2nd Brahma Yog): 03:45 PM (3/Jul/2023)- 11:50 AM (4/Jul/2023)
Guru Purnima History
As we mentioned above, the festival is celebrated by Hindus, Buddhists, and Jains, hence each one of them has different reasons to celebrate the Guru Purnima. Some popular legends are mentioned below:
As per Hindu texts, on the day of Guru Purnima, Lord Shiva became the first guru or Adi guru. It is also believed that on this day, Lord Shiva sat in front of Seven Sages called Saptarishis and became their Adi guru to teach them about the truth of life. Later, these Saptrishis spread the knowledge they gained from the lord to the world.
As per another saying, it is believed that on this day, the great sage and the author of the epic- Mahabharata, Maharishi Vedvyas was born. Not just that, he also completed writing the Brahma Sutra on the day of Guru Purnima only, that is why the festival is also called Vyas Purnima.
As per Buddhist texts, after attaining enlightenment, Lord Buddha joined his five followers and taught them everything he learned through being enlightened. It was a full-moon day of Ashadha month when Buddha gave the first sermon and shared his learning with his disciples who also became enlightened.
As per the Jain traditions, Lord Mahavir Swami, the 24th Tirthankara of Jains, took Indrabhuti Gautam (Gautam Swami) as his first disciple and became his guru on the day of Guru Purnima. This festival is celebrated as Treenok Guha Purnima among the Jains.
Guru Purnima 2023 Significance & Celebration
Guru Purnima is a beautiful festival that is wholly dedicated to gurus and to expressing thankfulness to those who lead us to enlightenment from the path of darkness.
“Guru” itself is made from two Sanskrit words “gu” means darkness or ignorance and “ru” means removal of darkness, thus Guru is someone who removes all the darkness from our life. In the early times, gurus were given higher places than god.
The festival has a lot of significance in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. It teaches us to respect our gurus and to always be thankful to them no matter how big you become.
Even in the modern era, Guru Pooja is held by Hindus of India and Nepal, which is devoted to all gurus who enlightened their disciples. Whether Hindus, Buddhists, or Jains, this festival is celebrated with great enthusiasm by the people of their religions and it spreads peace and coexistence in society.
Guru Purnima 2023 Status, Messages & Quotes
You can wish your family members and friends a very Happy Guru Purnima 2023 by sending these quotes to them on Whatsapp, Instagram, and Facebook. Check out Guru Purnima wishes below:
- A guru is someone who removes the darkness from your life and leads you on the right path.
- The most important finding in my life is finding a guru like you. Happy Guru Purnima 2023
- A mother is the first teacher of her child, who taught him the difference between right and wrong.
- Parents are the best gurus in the world, who genuinely think as well as want good for you. Happy Guru Purnima 2023!
- The mistakes you have made in the past, are your best teachers.
- Besides my parents, you are the person who supported me in bad times and taught me the true meaning of life. Happy Guru Purnima!!
- Dear sir, thank you for your support, and guidance and for being my strength during hard times.
- Let’s take a moment and say thank you to all your academic and spiritual gurus who motivate you in your tough times and teach you to believe in yourself.
- If you have a guru in your life who keeps a check on you and guides you to take the right path, be thankful to him always.
- Guru is that ray of the Sun which always comes into your life as a ray of positivity, always respect them. Happy Guru Purnima 2023 to you and your family!!
- Happy Guru Purnima to you from us!!