The Islamic New Year starts with the month of Muharram.This year it began on Friday evening on July 29. The date of Islamic New Year changes every year.
The Islamic lunar calendar (Hijri Calendar) is 11 days shorter than the Gregorian calendar which has 354 days and sometimes 355 days. The Islamic New Year also has 12 months and the Islamic New Year is also known as Hijri New Year.
Islamic New Year History
The Islamic New Year started in 622 AD, When Prophet Muhammad and his companinons were forced to migrate to Medina from Mecca.
People who follow Islam usually does not do any celebrations on the first day of the Islamic New Year but countries like the United Arab Emirates(UAE) and Saudi Arabia have declared this day as national holiday.
The month of Muharram is considered the second Holiest month after Ramzan and after the month of Muharram is the month of Dhul al-Hijjah and in this month Muslims perform Hajj (go to the pilgrimage).
Islamic New Year Significance, Images
The month of Muharram holds alot of significance for Shia Muslims as it commemorates the death anniversary of Prophet Muhammad’s grandson Husayn Ibn Ali al-Hussein who died at the Battle of Karbala on the 10th day and this event is referred as Ashura.
On the day of Ashura, Shia muslims across the world mourn the death of Husayn Ibn Ali al-Hussein. They take part in a remembrance parade of Husayn Ibn Ali al-Hussein called ‘Matam’.
Wishes and Quotes for Islamic New Year
- Happy New Year, may Allah bless you with peace and prosperity.
- Happy Hijri New year, may Allah bless you with whatever you want.
- May all your Duas get answered by Allah.
- May this Isamic New year bring you a happy and new life.
- May Allah protect you from Ego, Sins and Pride.
- Allah will give direction to your life, just trust him.
- Allah will answer all your prayers just have some patience.
- Don’t stress, just trust the timing of Allah.
- Practice Sabr and Allah will bless you.
- Allah will answer all your silent prayers.