UNICEF Day is celebrated annually on December 11. It was established to prioritize the issue of children’s rights around the world, irrespective of their nationality with the idea of non-discrimination.
To know more, let us take you to the brief history and importance of the day.
UNICEF Day History
UNICEF Day is celebrated to mark the establishment of the United Nations Children’s Fund, which was formed by the United Nations General Agency in the year 1946, on the 11th day of December. It was created under resolution 57(I) of the United Nations General Assembly, in New York city of the United States of America, where its headquarters are located.
At the time of its formation, its name was “United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund”. It was formed as a temporary relief fund to provide relief and assistance to those mothers and children who were badly affected during World War 2, because of exploitation, hunger, and other atrocities. Later in 1953, it became a permanent part of the United Nations system, and was renamed the “United Nations Children’s Fund”.
Observation of Universal Children’s day
Universal Children’s Day is a part of the work carried out by UNICEF. It is also called “UNICEF’s annual day of action, for children, by children”. It is celebrated annually on 20 December every year.
On this day in 1959, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the declaration of the rights of the children. It is celebrated to promote togetherness and raise awareness of education, inclusiveness among children. The theme of this year’s Universal Children’s day is “A Better future for every child”.
UNICEF: How does it operate?
UNICEF works in more than 190 countries and territories to protect the basic rights of children in the best possible ways. 36 members of its executive board play key roles in the decision-making of this organization.
These members establish policies, exhibitions, awareness programs, administrative and other financial plans. These 36 members comprised 36 government representatives elected for 3-year terms.
UNICEF is completely dependent upon voluntary donations. In 2020, the organization collected US$ 5.45 billion from its public sector partners out of its total income of US$ 7.2 billion. It spends around 90% of its total fund on helping poor children, and the rest 10% is used for fundraising programs and other administrative purposes.
A Twitter post from UNICEF officials:
The #ChildYouthForum starts TODAY!
Join us now to hear world leaders, young advocates and experts address global crises and commit to take action that can help create a better future #ForEveryChild.
— UNICEF (@UNICEF) December 7, 2021
UNICEF Day Significance
This day plays a major role in spreading awareness among people about the Sustainable development of children. The organization spreads awareness about safe hygiene among communities around the world.
It is the largest supplier of life-saving food in the world. During calamities and the COVID-19 pandemic, UNICEF played an important role. It works with the purpose to eliminate hunger, violation of children’s rights, discrimination on the basis of nationality or race.
Since 2014, UNICEF has been playing an instrumental role in directing the world’s attention towards child poverty. It takes action against child labor by strengthening social services workshops.
UNICEF Day: Aims and Objectives
Its main objective is to provide help to helpless children around the world in every aspect. Whether it is good hygiene or good education. They include every aspect to protect their basic rights. Its goal includes proper nutrition for children, vaccination against deadly diseases.
Some important objectives of the organization are given below:
- To arrange for the welfare and good health of infants and their mothers.
- To arrange for a nutritious diet for the younger generation around the world.
- To arrange for medical aid in developing and under-developing countries.
- To provide quality education on the basis of gender equality.
- To provide clean water and spread awareness about sanitation.
UNICEF Day 2021: Theme
On December 11 2021 we are going to mark the 75th anniversary of UNICEF Day. The theme for this year’s UNICEF Day is “to help children to recover from interruption and learning losses experienced through the pandemic in the last two years”.
In all its work a lifecycle-based approach. And grab the world’s attention on the issue of child rights.