World Space Week is internationally celebrated every year from 4th October to 10th October. It is officially termed as “an international celebration of science and technology, and their contribution to the betterment of the human condition”.
Since the advent of the Space Age, the UN has always addressed that outer space gave a new meaning to our existence. They continuously work towards improving humankind by availing the wonderful gains that we acquire from outer space.
Seeking answers to how outer space works and how it can benefit our mother Earth, the UN adopted resolution 1348(XIII) which said, “Question of the Peaceful Use of Outer Space”.
The UN Office for Outer Space (UNOOSA) deals with assisting the UN member states in providing any kind of legal framework required to conduct space activities and helps the developing countries in strengthening their foundation. UNOOSA is also the secretariat for the General Assembly’s committee that deals with outer space: United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (COPUOS).
UNOOSA also works to carry out the international space law for the Secretary-General and looks after the UN register carrying reports of objects launched in outer space.
World Space Week History
On December 6, 1999, the UN General Assembly announced World Space Week as an annual celebration to be held from October 4 to October 10.
This week marks the biggest annual space event in the world. Over 8,000 events were organized in 2019 in over 96 countries. Various exhibitions, government programs, school activities, and other activities at the planetaries across the globe were held.
The whole week highlights the two important dates :
- October 4, 1957: Launch of Sputnik-I, the first man-made satellite.
- October 10, 1967: Treaty signed on principles commanding activities related to outer space with moon and other celestial bodies.
How is World Space Week Celebrated?
World Space Week is sponsored by the World Space Week Association (WSWA), where a team of national coordinators throughout the world is responsible to organize the World Space Week in their respective countries.
Various events are conducted in aerospace companies, schools, offices, museums, planetaria, space agencies across the globe.
Millions of people join in celebrating a week-long event. In 2017, the UN organized more than 4,000 events in around 82 nations. To date, over 2,000,000 people have attended the event since 2007.
In Kerala, World Space Week is commended each year under the protection of Vikram Sarabhai Space Center (VSSC), and ISRO Inertial Systems Unit (IISU), Thiruvananthapuram, since 2001. During WSW, occasions and instructive projects with a unique spotlight on Space are coordinated inside and outside VSSC, in view of the topic proclaimed by the UN.
- Provide extraordinary influence in space effort and schooling
- Educate individuals all throughout the planet about the advantages that they get from space
- Encourage more noteworthy utilization of room for the practical monetary turn of events
- Demonstrate public help for space programs
- Excite youngsters about science, innovation, designing, and math
- Foster global participation in space effort and schooling
Activities On World Space Week
Here is a list of various activities that are held during World Space Week.
- Advertising space or World Space Week
- Flying demonstration with space shows
- Articles about space or Space week in distributions
- Grant function for understudies with best space projects
- Meal with a space speaker
- VIP, Astronaut, or Cosmonaut appearance
- PCs running space programming or for perusing space sites
- Meeting on utilizing space for the financial turn of events
- Show of room related music
- Lead a public overview on space issues
- Discussion or board conversation about space
- Convey space writing
- Convey World Space Week Posters
- Representatives give space for conversation with local area associations
- Show of room related workmanship, books or magazines, equipment, maps, moon rocks or shooting stars, photos, stamps, space memorabilia, or understudy projects
- Ranchers figuring out how to utilize satellite information
- Celebration with space displays and exercises
- Movies about space
- Government pioneers talking about space
- Ground testing of room equipment
- Web talks with space specialists or understudies in different nations
- Talks about space
- Libraries highlight space books
- Model rocket dispatch by understudies and grown-ups
- Open house (office visits)
- Open-air model of the nearby planet group
- March with a space topic
- Appeal marking to advocate space
- Planetarium with uncommon shows and extraordinary occasions
- Public gatherings to examine space
- Question and answer session presenting space-related item or administration
- Retail location or shopping center advancements
- Satellite linkage of World Space Week occasions
- School exercises to invigorate youngsters about math and science
- Sci-fi celebration
- Offering vision for space on blogs
- Marking of a World Space Week Proclamation by an administration official
- Game with space superstars
- Educator preparing studio on space
- Telescope review of the stars and planets
- Web standards recognizing World Space Week
- Composing letters to papers about space
- Composing letters to government pioneers about space
- Youth “space camp
To take you on a ride to the celestial world, we bring to you a list of movies that will surely take you to the world of outer space in this World Space Week 2021.
- Interstellar (2014)
- Moon (2009)
- Proxima (2019)
- Alien (1979)
- Hidden Figures (2016)
- First Man (2018)
- Apollo 13 (1995)