IIEST Shibpur: The Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, also known as IIEST Shibpur, was founded in 1856 as the Bengal Engineering College. The institution became known as Bengal Engineering and Science University (BESU) after receiving university status in 2005.The Council of NITSER oversees the work, while AICTE has given its approval to IIIEST Shibpur.
The institute consists of 16 departments and eight schools of study to create and publicize knowledge through the UG, PG, and Ph.D. programs. NIRF has ranked the university 37th for engineering and 13th for architecture in India in 2023.
The university offers B.Tech. and M.Tech. courses as its flagship courses. Admission to these courses is done through national and state-level exams. The highest package recorded for the year 2022 was INR 45 LPA.
IIEST Shibpur Highlights
|Name||Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology|
|Location||Shibpur, Howrah, West Bengal|
|Type||Public Technical University|
|NIRF Ranking 2023||35th (Engineering)|
|Courses offered||UG, PG, and Ph.D.|
|Highest Package||INR 45 LPA|
IIEST Shibpur Admission 2023
The institute offers over 76 courses at the undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral levels in the fields of science and engineering, architecture, and management. The institute also provides a 5-year integrated and dual-degree UG program. Admission to these courses is based on the scores or rank achieved in various entrance exams. Various details related to admission to the institute are as follows:
|JoSAA 2023 Online Reporting (Round 2)||6th – 10th July 2023|
|NATA 2023 Phase 3 Exam Date||9th July 2023|
|JoSAA 2023 Seat Allocation (Round 3)||12th July 2023|
|Publication of Round 3 CCMT Seat Allotment||13th July 2023|
|NATA 2023 Phase 3 Result||17th July 2023|
|JoSAA 2023 Online Reporting (Round 3)||13th – 15th July 2023|
|JoSAA 2023 Seat Allocation (Round 4)||16th July 2023|
|JoSAA 2023 Online Reporting (Round 4)||16th – 19th July 2023|
|JoSAA 2023 Seat Allocation (Round 5)||21st July 2023|
|JoSAA 2023 Online Reporting (Round 5)||21st – 24th July 2023|
The institute offers admission through various national and state-level entrance exams. Given below is the list of courses and entrance exams a student needs to qualify:
- B.E./B.Tech – JEE Mains + JoSAA / CSAB Counselling.
- B.Arch – NATA/JEE Mains
- M.E./M.Tech – GATE + CCMT Counseling.
- M.Sc – IIT-JAM+CCMN Counseling.
- M.B.A. – CAT/XAT/MAT/CMAT.
- M.Plan – GATE + CCMT Counseling.
- Ph.D. – Written test and /or Interview/Counseling/CSIR–NET JRF/UGC–NET JRF/ICMR/DST-INSPIRE
The cutoff for B.Tech courses in the institute is decided during JoSAA or CSAB counseling based on the ranks achieved in JEE Mains. The CCMT counselling decides the seats allotment for M.Tech. and M.Plan. The cutoff depends on the rank of the student, the number of applicants, the availability of seats, the difficulty level of the paper, etc.
Candidates must also satisfy the eligibility criteria for B.Tech. with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects and a minimum percentage as determined by the institute in the 12th or equivalent exam. Here is the Closing rank for round 2 :
|B.Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering||12863|
|B.Tech. in Information Technology||15924|
|B.Tech. in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering||20000|
|B.Tech. in Aerospace and Applied Mechanics||26095|
|B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering||24454|
|B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering||34287|
|B.Tech. in Metallurgy and Materials Engineering||45894|
|B.Tech. in Civil Engineering||46017|
|B.Tech. in Mining Engineering||49057|
IIEST Shibpur Ranking & Accreditation
The institute has been granted the status of INI and is the mentor institute of IIIT Kalyani. AICTE has approved and recognized IIEST Shibpur. NIRF has ranked IIEST Shibpur 10th for Architecture, 35th for engineering, and 66th overall in India in 2023.
The QS World University Rankings has ranked the university 401–450 in Asia and 92nd in Southern Asia in 2023. IIRF has ranked IIEST Shibpur 16th for architecture in India in 2023.
|NIRF (Overall) 2023||66th|
|NIRF (Engineering) 2023||35th|
|NIRF (Architecture) 2023||11th|
|QS WUR Asian University Rankings 2023||401st|
IIEST Shibpur Infrastructure
The Indian Institute of Engineering, Science, and Technology covers an area of 114 acres and is located at Botanical Garden Area, Howrah, West Bengal. Shalimar Railway Station is the closest railway station to the institute. The railway station and bus stop are at a distance of 1.6 km. The Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport is located 34.6 kilometres away from the campus.
The Shibpur campus offers numerous amenities to students and faculty staff. IIEST Shibpur provides state-of-the-art laboratories, impeccably maintained research facilities, and a central library. It also consists of schools, accommodation for faculty members, a students’ amenities center, two main sports grounds, a gym, and a swimming pool.
Facilities Provided at IIEST
- Wi-Fi connections.
- Hostel facility for boys and girls and guest room.
- Central Library.
- Sports court, a swimming pool and a gym.
- Cafeteria and convenience store.
- Laboratory and research center.
- Computer lab.
- Auditorium and seminar room.
- Hospital and medical facility.
IIEST Shibpur Popular Course
The university offers courses like B.Tech. and B.Arch. at the UG level and M.Tech., M.Sc., MBA, and M.Plan. at the PG level. IIEST provides specialization in nine disciplines for B.Tech. and in eight disciplines for M.Tech. It also provides an M.Sc. in Applied Geology, Food Processing, and Nutrition Science. B.Tech. and M.Tech. courses are the most famous courses offered at IIEST Shibpur.
The courses offered by the institute, including the selection process, eligibility, and tuition fees are as follows:
|Courses||Eligibility||Selection Process||Tuition Fees|
|B.E./B.Tech||10+2 : 75%||JEE Mains/DASA||INR 5 L|
|B.Arch||10+2 : 50%||JEE Mains Paper 2/NATA||INR 6.25 L|
|M.E./M.Tech||UG : 60%||GATE||INR 1.7 L|
|MBA||UG : 60%||CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT||INR 4 L|
|M.Sc||UG : 60%||IIT JAM||INR 90 K|
|M.Plan||UG : 60%||GATE||INR 1.7 L|
How to Apply for IIEST Shibpur 2023
A student can apply to any B.Tech. course through JoSAA counselling. IIEST admits students on the basis of the cutoff of JEE Mains marks declared during the counselling. The steps to apply to the B.Tech course at IIEST Shibpur are as below:
- First, you need to register and qualify for JEE Mains through its official website, jeemain.nta.nic.in.
- Now register for JOSAA counselling for choice filling.
- You have to Register using your JEE Main application number and password.
- Check all your details, and fill in additional information if needed.
- Upload your documents, JEE Mains scorecard, etc., and submit the form.
- Fill out the names of the colleges of your choice and specializations on the new page according to the list of available options.
- JoSAA declares the opening and closing ranks in different rounds; check for the required rank.
- The last step is document verification and fee payment to lock your seat.
- Now report to the allotted institute as per the specified date and pay the balance Fee.
The candidates need to pay the application fees for JEE Mains online using one of the following options: credit card, debit card, net banking, Paytm, or UPI. The application fee is a non refundable amount.
IIEST Shibpur Scholarship 2023
The institute provides scholarships to meritorious students from economically weaker sections admitted in UG, PG, and Ph.D. courses. This financial aid is designed in the form of a fee waiver, fee concession, or pocket allowance. The scholarships presented by IIEST Shibpur are as follows:
- The Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF)
- The Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD) offers research internships at German universities and state-funded research institutes for B.Tech. and dual degree/integrated (Bachelor-Master) program students,
- GAABESU’s Alumni Scholarship Program
- Swami Dayanand Educational Foundation scholarships of up to INR 50,000 are available for students with family incomes of less than 6 LPA.
- Scholarships under the National Scholarship Portal:
- Central Government Ministries Scholarships
- Central Government Organization Scholarships
- State Governments and Union Territories Scholarships
- Public Sector Units and Government Undertakings Scholarships
- Private Companies, Foundations, and Organizations Scholarships
- Foreign Agency Scholarships
IIEST Shibpur Placement
The institute has not released the placement statistics for the year 2023. The campus placement of 2022 recorded 776 offers made by 1022 companies. 516 students got placements, and the highest package stood at INR 45 LPA. The total offers made to the flagship courses of B.Tech. and M.Tech. were 635 and 82, respectively. The B.Tech. course recorded a placement of 416 students out of the 533 eligible students. The total offers made The recruiters for the year were Microsoft, Wells Fargo, Texas Instruments, PWC, Cognizant, Atlassian, IBM India, etc.
|Highest CTC||INR 45 LPA|
|Number of Recruiters||1022|
|Number Of Eligible Students||856|
|Number Of Offers||776|
|Number Of Students Placed||516|
|Top Recruiters||Microsoft, Wells Fargo, Texas Instruments, PWC, Cognizant, Atlassian|
IIEST Shibpur FAQ
Ans-The highest package at IIEST Shibpur for the year 2022 was INR 45 LPA.
Ans-The NIRF ranked Jadavpur University 13th and IIEST 66th in the overall category in 2023. The Jadavpur University provides coding facilities, which are missing in IIEST Shibpur.
Ans-IIEST Shibpur is a public technical university under the Government of India.
Ans-The total fee for B.Tech course in IIEST Shibpur is INR 5 LPA.
Ans-The NIRF has ranked IIEST Shibpur 35th for its flagship course B.Tech (Engineering).
Ans-IIEST Shibpur accepts JEE Mains, JEE Mains Paper 2, NATA, GATE, CAT, MAT, XAT, IIT JAM, etc
Ans-Yes, IIEST Shibpur is one of the oldest engineering college and is recognised as an “Institute of National Importance”.
Ans-The hostel fee of IIEST at the time of admission is INR 4000 (excluding mess dues) and INR 29,500 (including mess dues).