National Legal Services Day is observed every year in India to mark the approval of the Indian Legal Services Authorities Act 1987. This day is celebrated on November 9.
This day is a reminder of the importance of legal services in our country and the day makes the people aware of the plethora of provisions that can be availed under the Indian Legal Services Authorities Act of 1987.
National Legal Services Day History
The National Legal Services Day was first observed in the year 1995, declared by the supreme court of India. Along with this, this date has a special significance because the Legal Services Authorities Act of 1987 was also established on the very same day on November 9, 1995. It is since then that this day is celebrated as National Legal Services Day.
Under the National Legal Services Authorities Act 1987, the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA) was constituted. This was a step towards providing free legal services to the underprivileged people of society. They conducted Lok Adalats for settlement of disputes among them.
National Legal Services Day Significance
To most people, legal proceedings are very messy and time-consuming. This day tries to bring about a change in the thoughts of the people who take legal proceedings as something chaotic. People need to understand that justice can only be achieved with successful legal procedures and it needs to prevail.
The Indian constitution treats every individual equally and provides equal opportunity to promote justice. This day reminds us that we need legal help to seek justice and it also spreads awareness about our trustworthy legal system. It highlights the right of the litigants and makes the citizens aware of the National Legal Services Authorities Act of 1987.
Legal Services Authorities Aims
The Indian legal services authorities are responsible for:
- Giving free legal advice to the poor.
- Making the citizens aware of the legal system
- Conducting Lok Adalats
- Settling disputes via Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) mechanisms, which include: Judicial settlement, Arbitration conciliation.
- Promoting victims of crime compensation
How is National Legal Services Day Celebrated?
National Legal Services Day can be celebrated in a variety of ways. It is significant for all the legal authorities of the nation and you can get yourself involved in the celebrations in the following ways:
- You can talk to legal authorities and learn more about our legal system.
- You can promote this day on social media and make others aware of the same.
- You can take part in various campaigns that are held during this day and help in addressing the issue.
- You can visit a local NGO and teach people about the importance of a good legal system in society.
- You can take part in legal competitions like making posters and banners related to National Legal Services Day.
- You can read about the day on the internet and increase your knowledge about the same.
- You can read articles 39 (A), 14, and 22 (1), and know more about the legal system and services.